FULL TITLE: Rugby Registration District - Marriage Notice Book Volume One 1837-1861.
The Act which introduced civil registration in 1837 specified that any couple who were not marrying in the Church of England by banns or licence were to give notice of their intended marriage at their Local Register Office. The Notice was then read out at three meetings of the Board of Guardians for the local Poor Law Union. This booklet contains a transcription of those entries of intended marriage notified to the Rugby Registration District which included Bilton, Birdingbury, Bourton on Dunsmore, Brinklow, Brownsover, Church Lawford, Churchover, Clifton on Dunsmore (including Newton and Biggin), Combe Fields (extra-parochial), Dunchurch (including Thurlaston). Easenhall in the parish of Monks Kirby, Frankton, Grandborough, Harborough Magna, Hillmorton, Kings Newnham, Leamington Hastings, Marton, Newbold on Avon (including Cosford, Little Lawford and Long Lawford), Rugby, Ryton on Dunsmore, Stretton on Dunsmore (including Princethorpe), Willoughby, Wolfhampcote and Wolston (including Brandon and Bretford) [all Warwickshire], Barby, Clay Coton, Crick, Elkington, Kilsby, Lilbourn, Stanford on Avon and Yelvertoft [all Northamptonshire] and Westrill and Starmore [Leicestershire]. Information contained within each notice includes the name, age, condition, occupation, residence and length of residency of each party together with the date the notice was given and the church or building in which the marriage was to be solemnised. Most marriages, but by no means all, were to take place in nonconformist churches or chapels in the surrounding area.